Join us Wednesday December 19 for our Winter Social and club meeting.
Our voter registration efforts in CD 22 continue next weekend September 16-17
If you would like to sign up and participate, click here.
If we are going to take back congress in 2018 we need to do a lot of voter registration, it is how you overcome the safely drawn district.
American public opinion tends to be sticky. Although the news cycle might temporarily affect the public’s mood on contentious issues like abortion, the death penalty, or gun control, public opinion toward these issues has remained remarkably constant over decades. There are notable exceptions, however, particularly with regard to divisive issues that highlight identity politics. For example, over the past three decades, public support for same-sex marriage has risen from scarcely more than a tenth to a majority of the population. Why have people’s minds changed so dramatically on this issue, and why so quickly? It wasn’t just that older, more conservative people were dying and being replaced in the population by younger, more progressive people; people were changing their minds. Was this due to the influence of elite leaders like President Obama? Or advocacy campaigns by organizations pushing for greater recognition of the equal rights of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) people?
Listen, We Need to Talk tests a new theory, what Brian Harrison and Melissa Michelson call The Theory of Dissonant Identity Priming, about how to change people’s attitudes on controversial topics. Harrison and Michelson conducted randomized experiments all over the United States, many in partnership with equality organizations, including Equality Illinois, Georgia Equality, Lambda Legal, Equality Maryland, and Louisiana’s Capital City Alliance. They found that people are often willing to change their attitudes about LGBT rights when they find out that others with whom they share an identity (for example, as sports fans or members of a religious group) are also supporters of those rights—particularly when told about support from a leader of the group, and particularly if they find the information somewhat surprising.
Fans of the Green Bay Packers football team were influenced by hearing that a Packers Hall-of-Famer is a supporter of LGBT rights. African Americans were influenced by hearing that the Black president of the United States is a supporter. Religious individuals were influenced by hearing that a religious leader is a supporter. And strong partisans were influenced by hearing that a leader of their party is a supporter. Through a series of engaging experiments and compelling evidence, Listen, We Need to Talk provides a blueprint for thinking about how to bring disparate groups together over contentious political issues.
Dr. Michelson will be presenting her latest book at CSU Fresno on April 26, 6-8pm.
(1) Write a simple POSTCARD – Address it to:
On YOUR Postcard, make a simple statement about what YOU feel/think/are going to do about the Agenda of Washington. You want him to PROTECT SOCIAL SECURITY – No Privatization, or PROTECT MEDICARE – No Vouchers. YOU want him to STOP TRYING TO REPEAL OBAMACARE and RATHER FIX THE PROBLEMS WITH THE ACA or YOU want him to STOP BEING SUCH A DESPICABLE LOUDMOUTH, or STOP WITH THE MISOGYNY. Add your own phrase here. Sign it with your name and zip code and;
Mail it on March 15th, 2017. Millions of others are going to do the same. Imagine the White House post Office when ALL of these postcards descend on them – – chaos!
(2) Same as the Above BUT address it to your Local Congressional Representative. They really do keep track of opinion mail. Follow it up with a phone call checking to see IF they got it. Before you mail be sure to sign it with your Name and ZIP. This is how they track constituents and compile their statistics.
(3) Find and JOIN a local INDIVISIBLE group. There are over 7,000 nationwide and hundreds here in California. Be prepared to show up at your local Congressman’s/Congresswoman’s District Office with questions and statements. Believe me, THIS WILL SHAKE THEIR FOUNDATIONS and YOU WILL BE HEARD.
(4) Donate to Causes that Oppose Trump and the Conservative Agenda. You don’t have to bankrupt yourself here, $5.00, $10.00 from each of us sends the message loud and clear and they, the trumpies, will be watching and fearing that Trump has simply “Awaken a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve” (Japanese Admiral Yamamoto’s statement after the 1941 Pearl Harbor sneak attack which brought America into WWII. His comment proved prophetic).
(5) Use the Indivisible instructions and make a simple phone call to your Representatives office. Choose your words carefully, write a script and stick to it. Be pleasant but be FIRM that you want an answer to your question or a response to your statement.
(6) Join Our Club. Come to our next meeting and let us get a chance to meet you. Let us Help You Help Our Country Get Back To Sanity.
Want to know what you can do to fight back against the reptile conservative agenda which is coming our way?
A PRACTICAL GUIDE FOR RESISTING THE TRUMP AGENDA
Written by Congressional Staffers who know what works! Let’s Stop Spinning our ideological wheels and get the rubber on the road!
By Susan McCall Carrasco, January 3 at 12:30pm
(Susan McCall Carrasco and her Sister Tracy are both members of the San Joaquin Valley Democratic Club and several other Democratic Clubs and Organizations in the Fresno area of California)